Wednesday 25 February 2009

The Importance of Social Media



11 Reasons You Can't Ignore Social Media in 2009

Social Media websites are a growing phenomenon that continues to occupy the minds of web surfers globally. Social Media websites are changing the way people communicate with friends and family, network within their fields of endeavor and how they receive and transmit information. A major resource utilized by our newly seated President of the United States, Barack Obama, which helped him stay in contact with supporters, build a formidable fundraising machine and revolutionize the campaign process. All over the information highways and by-ways, you will see long, short or stubby fingers banging away at a computer keyboard or PDA device, sharing their passion, their pain, their hopes, their dreams or just anonymously watching.

Whether I am inviting friends and family over to MySpace, becoming LinkedIn with colleagues and prospective employers or just sitting back with a cup of herbal tea in one of the many Blogspots that I attend, Social Media has affected my life enormously. When I am too frugal to visit a Barnes and Noble, I Google. When I hunger for current events, I feed, RSS style. I have faced challenges on Facebook and have changed channels on YouTube. Social Media has become my new friend, my only friend.

I chose this topic because it is relevant in approximately 90% of the student everyday activities. It has become a necessary resource in our lives. Social Media websites provide a rich web experience to those of us who partake in this form socializing. Not to mention, they're addictive and they keep you coming back for more and more.

No comments: