Wednesday 6 May 2009

Google's Book Search Deal: One To Watch



Google's Book Search Deal: 5 Pros and 5 Cons

Recently, I have given much attention to the Google Books Library Project’s developments in the media. The Department of Justice is beginning an inquiry concerning the project to see if ant anti-trust laws are being violated.

The Google Books Library Project, according to Google’s website, “makes it easier for people to find relevant books – specifically, books they wouldn't find any other way such as those that are out of print – while carefully respecting authors' and publishers' copyrights. Our ultimate goal is to work with publishers and libraries to create a comprehensive, searchable, virtual card catalog of all books in all languages that helps users discover new books and publishers discover new readers”.

I will be the first to tell you how excited I am at the very thought of being able to access in and out-of-print books from my computer. Currently, in my role as a student, I envision textbooks and required reading for my courses accessible from any computer within my reach and also from any phone with browser capabilities. The $250.00 textbook that I purchased for Biology class will be lowered substantially to the benefit of the author and the student. Also, the idea of the material contained in textbooks will become easily searchable, making research an easier task.

The article introduces the pros and cons of Google’s project and raises doubt as to whether this huge project being proposed by Google will be beneficial to all parties involved. I am certain that the kinks will be worked out before this project come to fruition, but students, avid readers, researchers and members of the intellectual community, this is one to watch.

No comments: